…and we’re off…sort of…

Well, I can say that we’re successfully using the MacBooks, but I must admit that Classroom Suite hasn’t been an easy program to work with as a classroom teacher. Here’s where I’m at…

I have taught students how to login to the computers by following a few steps and they are now independently plugging in their headphones (but that’s another blog post altogether…) and utilizing Google Chrome to find one of three websites that I’ve provided in the bookmarks: PBSkids, Starfall, and Tumblebooks. I needed to assess and group my students based on skill to then assign each student to a computer. I’ve done so with sticky labels. Sometimes, during our literacy centre time, one group will get to engage in the computers with intentional activities in mind. Also, during our ‘free centre’ time, I often have students choose to use the laptops; they almost always are quickly chosen.

I’ve explored a variety of different ways of setting up the classroom for this. For example, I have trapezoid tables so I’ve placed them around in a ‘circle’ and I can have all of the grade 2s engaged at the same time (some of them have  to double up!).

They are LOVING this tool and they have become a wonderful tool.

Unfortunately, however, I haven’t had much success with airdropping. I create and published an activity that I thought the kids would LOVE, but when I airdropped, it only appeared on ONE desktop. I have a student teacher who is currently teaching 100% so I will explore this further this week…yay to more time!!! I truly wished that I had more accomplished with Classroom Suite, but because of the time that it takes to do this, well, other things have taken priority at this time.

I’d love to know how others are successfully airdropping and opening up the activities in CS! (Oh, and yes, I have created a file for each student!)

Looking forward to meeting!

Thea

2 thoughts on “…and we’re off…sort of…

• I did! I just had to trust that the time we/I spent teaching them was worth it! It was!! We had a blast waiting for the documents to come through; it was so cute to hear them cheer! Thanks for checking!